Okay, file this one under, "stupid human tricks."
CNN is reporting that the Six Flags near Chicago is going to let people cut in line during their Halloween event if they eat a LIVE Madagascar hissing cockroach (Gromphadorhina portentosa). While park officials insist its safe the local health officials think differently:
Consuming live roaches might increase risks of gastrointestinal illness and allergies, according to Bill Mays, Lake County Health Department's community health director.
These little bugs are near and dear to many museums and schools. We have a fairly large colony here at the museum in one of our classrooms, I saw a bunch behind the scenes at the Boston Museum of Science just last week, and I know a couple teachers here in town who keep them in their classrooms. Sure would be sad to see a bunch of Six Flags Halloween partygoers hopped up on Mountain Dew eating these fine bugs just to cut the lines. Alas, I doubt a "Save the Roaches" campaign would have much traction either.