What's a boffin?

by bryan kennedy on Oct. 30th, 2008

I was reading my daily dose of science news over at Science Blogs and stumbled across some funny posts by Blake Stacey. While his posts were interesting, I was most intrigued by his bio, in which he refers to himself as a boffin. Wondering, "what's that?" I turned to my old pal Google and found that a boffin is English (read British) slang for scientist. It looks like the term has both been used affectionately and as an insult from time to time as us science nerds have fallen in an out of favor.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <h3> <h4> <em> <i> <strong> <b> <span> <ul> <ol> <li> <blockquote> <object> <embed> <param> <sub> <sup>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • You may embed videos from the following providers vimeo, youtube. Just add the video URL to your textarea in the place where you would like the video to appear, i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw0jmvdh.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Images can be added to this post.

More information about formatting options